Skip to content
- Take interest tests and career assessments with you guidance counselor at school or online for free. Use this information to help you decide what career path you would like to pursue.
- Brainstorm future college and career goals – discuss plans with your parents and guidance counselor
- Meet with your guidance counselor to determine which classes you should take that will align with your future goals
- Start developing your own reading and note taking system – whatever works best for you! Experiment with different techniques to discover what is the best way for you to learn. This is a critical skill for future learning and development.
- Join extracurricular activities at school that interest you and may help you gain experience and skills useful for your future goals
- Get involved in recreational activities that align with your interests and goals to start building your network.
- Find local resources regarding future training and college, such as job centers, and familiarize yourself with free services offered by your local library – they have a lot more than just books!
- Volunteer at a nonprofit or public institution to gain experience with responsibility, problem solving, teamwork, self-management and decision making. Community service also demonstrates you care about others.
- Learn and take on new responsibilities at home to start increasing your independence, for example, take on chores such as cleaning the bathroom without being asked by your parents.